Friday, June 7, 2019

Lairy Flea with Claw


A leggy circus flea auditioning for the Museum of Fleas with a closeup of a flea's 2-clawed foot below(no wonder they're so hard to get out of your hair)
Immediately below is the same version under UV






Under a 395nm LED blacklight


The same version under daylight alone

 
Another fluoro flea for the Museum of Fleas at the Imperial in september.
I just got a bunch more pigments - fluoro yellow, pink, blue and violet to go with the green and orange I had already and I'm getting used to using them in paintings like this. The colours are much better than the cheapos I used as glazes in theatre backdrops years ago, so the blue actually flouresces blue and not the almost white it acted as in Flower to Furnace.

One problem - the fluoro violet I have doesn't appear to do anything under the 374nanometre LED strip I'm using for blacklight. I'm guessing the wavelength is too close to the violet the pigment emits for it to be able to excite its electrons to fluoresce. The Stokes Gap, apparently is the minimum difference between the emitted photon energy and that of the exciting photon for some fluorescing substance.

If anyone can point me to a primer and technical info about fluoro pigments and UV sources, thanks in advance

No comments:

Post a Comment