Saturday, January 12, 2019

Pub sign

I'm making a hanging sign for the front of a pub out of some floorboards in a frame. 


The sign hung jauntily by Shamus at the pub out behind the stock exchange. Drilling into the reinforced concrete was a bit of a challenge.

We're going to have to find some lairy pinstripes, and go have a look sometime



The good side finished


The side that bled a bit and had a gap or 2 in the masking, after retouching



The proof of the stencil to cut by one means or another, hopefully a laser



With a coat of blue


Assembled 

Router wasn't a goer sothe circular saw and a chisel had to make do.


What this thing is supposed to look like, kinda. Frame blue too
 of course. the good news is the text is almost all clear of the rustic gaps between boards



All the pieces, with the boards revealed by a bit of sanding with a flapdisk on the 180mm grinder . I asill have cut a grove with a router but Shamus's tiny toy one without handles doesn't inspire a lot of confidence and intermittently cuts out, and the larger handheld Ryobi that looks the goods doesn't switch on, so I'll stop to scratch my head while I get onto something else for the arvo


mmm, just had a look at the artwork to go on both sides, I'd only glanced at it previously and thought it was a stencil, but unfortunately its a bit more complicated than that, to do that I have to re lay out the small text in a stencil-able font, otherwise some signwriting

 

The cheaparse $80 compound mitre saw cut some wonky angles when I tried to make the frame pieces because its alignment bar is loose so I'll have to do some bodgy repair use a sliver of wood as a shim to continue.

I'll probably replace the bottom wide floorboard with another narrow one to get the size they're after, and it will look more balanced

No comments:

Post a Comment