Monday, September 24, 2018

Charlotte at the Imperial


I went to the Imperial hotel in Erskineville with Charlotte (at left)to see the shows, including hers and do some drawing. The discriminating staff at the door let us in, Charlotte is well known there, but I could see them raise an eyebrow at me. The drawing pad or the wide nose and olive complexion, sometimes I look too Australian

While we waited for the shows to begin I drank a beer and did this warmup


The night started with drag mime shows, Charlotte at the centre. I would have got the other performers names, but events intervened


Julie Andrews and one of her attendants



At the interval I drew this guy at the table next to us - he said to the call it "Art of a Gay Wedding", as he'd come there from one. He held his pose for me as he sipped from his drink. Not shitfaced, but he'd clearly(at least to me) drunk considerably more than me, and was in a philosophical mood. By this stage I'd had 3 schooners of beer, as well as half a longneck shared with Charlotte before we arrived, an hour and a half ago.

I shouldn't need to spell this out, but I'm not in the habit of getting off my head before I go out drawing performances. And I'm over being excluded on some bullshit RSA pretext when really they are keeping out the rifraf.

I went to the bar to get a fourth and the guy with a wire in his ear at the bar gave me some plastic bottle of water and said maybe he'd serve me in half an hour.

WTF? 'Fraid not buddy. Not going back under current management.

I packed up my gear, made my apologies to Charlotte. kicked off the dust from my flaming red boots and departed

No comments:

Post a Comment