Friday, April 19, 2019

Archibald Painting Delivery - the Movie



 Taking the Trial of Dr Pot (more pictures etc here))in to the Art Gallery of NSW. Entry 596 in the Archibald. It's my portrait of Dr Andrew Katelaris successfully creating a defence of Medical Necessity to Treat to defeat weed distribution charges in NSW district court. Thanks to Lyle for following us in to the bowels of the packing room and shooting the video. And to Lex for driving us in his van, and Andy Perceval for organising it all, he introduced me to Andrew

I've always enjoyed the circus around delivering entries to these prizes - we lived nearby when I was at the Gunnery so we used to parade up there with various outrageous spoofs. This year, the first time I've entered for about 15 years (since I put in a portrait of Nadine Stransen as a lawgiver in a modular chair, now sadly lost, destroyed when the Housing Department cleared her flat)

To my huge surprise we ran into my old friend Chas Glover, helping with receiving the paintings. He lives up in Lismore these days. we did a show together a couple of years ago at Newsagency Gallery, with Jimmy Willing and Ben Cahill. I'll try to dig up a link, there's a post down below on this blog somewhere. On the video you can see him carry the painting off to wherever the judging occurs


The Trial of Dr Pot
-where-
Creating the First Ever Necessity Defence for Medical Cannabis, Dr Andrew Katelaris Addresses the District Court Jury, Defeating Cannabis Supply Charges, With the Scene Transposed to Paterson NSW

The painting itself, and the full title, with Lots of CAPITALS. It's really long but we felt we had to spell the story out




No comments:

Post a Comment