Friday, October 6, 2017

At Kuark Gap




Grace took me and my daughter Xantharea down to East Gippsland last weekend to stay at Kuark Gap in Kuark state forest where there was a camp to quantify the carbon density in a soon to be clearfelled coupe on a steep ridge as part of a campaign to prevent this senseless(and unprofitable) logging.

Back in the late eighties Xanth's mum Marion and I spent time protesting strip logging in the NSW south easts forests around Bombala, just across the border from East Gippsland. We took part in protests and spent some time sitting on platforms 20m up in trees. Its dumb that the same battles are still going on so vested interests can collect rent from the public.

7 years ago Grace spent a month camping and attending workshops etc at nearby Goongerah. She found their Facebook page which is how we found out about the camp. I'd like to thank her and Xanth for taking me along and putting up with me, and Owen and Grant  from GECO (and everyone else who's names I've forgotten) for getting us involved

This is Grace's tent and car where we camped. Sadly we hit a pair of kangaroos on the way back which left the car, and them in a bad way..

 
Looking towards the coast from our campsite - the trunk of a big gnarly eucalypt and a rough barked rinforest tree. 

No comments:

Post a Comment